Tuesday, April 16, 2013

355. Scheherazade's Rose Petal Cake


Have you ever had a genius idea, only to research it on the Net to find several other people have beaten you to the punch? For example, it came to my mind several times that someone should write a cookbook based on the Arabian Nights.
It's already been done.

When I got dried rose petals to make the rose petal rice, I had a lot left. So I got thinking, why not make a rose petal cake?? Again, I researched it, and, guess what?
It's already been done.
So I was encouraged to make my own version, using my favorite cake recipe with a couple of twists.
If I were to change something now after having tasted and loved it, I would probably add roughly chopped pistachio nuts, soaked overnight in orange blossom water.
To make this cake look as special as it was, I frosted it with flour frosting, which was an excellent compliment.
Scheherazade being thoroughly Baghdadi, and The Nights being thoroughly Iraqi, I will attribute this cake to the, albeit presently marred, nectar-scented Iraqi civilization and its people: many will try to obliterate you but your value in history is undeniable.



Ingredients:

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup rose petals
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp finely grated orange zest
1 Tbsp orange blossom water
1 cup fresh orange juice



Method:

Preheat oven to 380°F.

Process the sugar and the oil in the food processor for 2 minutes.
Add the eggs, process for 2 to 3 more minutes.
Add the flour, baking powder, powdered rose petals, orange zest, cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon; process until just combined.
Add the cup of orange juice and the orange blossom, and process until homogeneous, less than a minute.

Pour the batter in a buttered and floured cake tin.
Bake for 60 to 65 minutes.
Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Refrigerate, and best consumed the day after baking.

Note: if you choose to make cupcakes, bake only for about 20 minutes.



 صحة و عافية

No comments: