Thursday, April 11, 2013

352. Crusty Artisan Bread


Flour, salt, yeast, and water is all it takes to make this beauty artisan-quality bread.

When I saw this recipe all over the Net, it certainly did look phenomenal, but I thought the hype was over-rated. I finally got myself a cast iron pot, and after properly seasoning it (cast iron lasts a lifetime if cared for properly), this bread was the first thing I tried. I cut into the bread as soon as it was baked, still piping hot, smeared it with a little butter to taste, and phenomenal is the word for it!
I got the recipe from Simply So Good, who answers everybody's qualms as well as provides variations.
Since this was my first go, I kept it simple, but will definitely try variations in the future, God willing.



Ingredients:

3 cups  flour
1 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Instant or Rapid-rise yeast
1 1/2 cups water


Method:

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.
Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours. Overnight works great.

Heat oven to 450 degrees.
When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball.
Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating.
Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough.
Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.



 صحة و عافية


No comments: